Friday, April 25, 2008

Mom's in Town


First let me begin by apologizing for neglecting my blog this past month. I can only excuse myself by saying that my mom's in town visiting and we've been spending time just enjoying each other's company. I didn't realize how much I missed her. It's great to have her to go shopping, to help cook dinner, to just sit and watch my dog play in the backyard.

Since I have a great source of Cuban food around me now, I've trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible. It hasn't been easy because even though I have repeatedly asked her to wait for me to start cooking, it doesn't always happen. I'll go outside to water the plants and she's already started dinner so I missed all the preparation. When I ask her what she put in the dish, she'll say, "a little bit of this and a little bit of that." I then ask what is "a little bit?" She says, "you know a little bit."


Like most great cooks there really isn't any measuring, everything is by instinct. Therefore, when I do have the opportunity to watch her in action, I have my measuring cups and spoons on hand. Having said that I have been able to write down two great recipes which I will undoubtedly share with you.

But today, I would like to share a few things my mom taught me about Cuban cooking these past few weeks:

1) A rice cooker is THE essential tool in Cuban cuisine. Every household should have one. Any size will do. My mom walked into my kitchen the first day and asked, where's the rice cooker? I said I didn't have one. She proceeded to turn several shades of pale white. When the color returned to her checks she took me by the hand and lead me to the nearest Bed, Bath and Beyond. Now I have a rice cooker and all is well in the Bandiero kitchen.

2) A pressure cooker saves time and helps soften pork and beef. It also makes a Flan in 30 minutes. I didn't have a pressure cooker...now I do.

3) Yellow onions, garlic, green onions, green and red peppers, salt pepper, oregano and cumin. These seem to be the base for most Cuban dishes. It varies but that's what I see my mom preparing most of the time. Other important ingredients are, bijol, parsley, and cilantro.

4) MARINADE, MARINADE, MARINADE! For Cubans that would mean using mojo.

Finally, my mom taught me that it's not what you prepare for dinner, but that you prepare it with love. I feel guilty when I see her cooking us dinner. It is after all, my home and she's on vacation. But then I see her smile when she sets the table and calls us in for dinner. She's doing what she loves to do...taking care of her children, even though we are old and married. A child is a child no matter the age, and a mom is always a mom. Having my mom around is my greatest joy.

The picture on top is of my mom when she turned 15. That would be her Sweet 15. (Cubans don't do 16 they do 15). Obviously, the other pic. is of me when I turned 15.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bellissima foto, il suo viso è metà il tuo e metà quello di Dailyn !!!
Ma la foto in cui sei vestita da sposa ????
E' vera ??
Ciao
P.