Monday, February 18, 2008

Enchilada de Camarones (Shrimp Creole)


As far back as I could remember, I've always thought my mom was a fantastic cook. Everything she made (with the exception of liver, which I was forced to ingest because I was anemic!) was top notch. She could invent a meal in 10 minutes and have it taste and look like it took her all day. One thing that always fascinated me about my mom was how many times she would make seafood for the family even though she disliked it immensely. My dad, sister and I are seafood fanatics, especially shrimp and lobster. Ironically, they are at the bottom of my mom's food list. But because she was a wonderful mom and because she spent her entire life trying to make us happy, our mom would make enchilada de camarones every weekend. To this day, when I go back home to visit, I ask her to make it for me. Here is her recipe.
By the way, yes, that's me and mom circa 1972 in our first apartment in NYC.

Ingredients:
1 14oz can whole tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
1 small onion chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1 red pepper diced
1 green pepper diced
1 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons dry oregano
1 tablespoon chopped basil
1 teaspoon tabasco sauce (or more depending on how spicy you want it)
salt and pepper for taste
2 lbs shrimp shelled and deveined

In a sauce pan, heat the olive oil. Saute the onions, garlic, red and green pepper until just soft, about 3 minutes.

With your hands crush the whole tomatoes. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, oregano, and tabasco sauce.

Cook for about 10 minutes on low heat. Add the shrimp and basil and cook until the shrimp are done.

Add salt and pepper to your taste. Remove and serve immediately. Can be served over white rice or with orzo for an Italian touch.

HEALTHY/LITE VERSION:
This dish is not really high in fat. You can substitute white rice for brown rice. That will work very well.

No comments: